Miner Institute Online Archives


Heart of the Farm

Upon the knoll ahead sat Heart’s Delight Cottage, the home of William H. and Alice T. Miner. The Cottage was built over the original farmhouse erected by William’s grandfather Clement in the 1820s. The old home and barn were what Mr. Miner called the “nucleus of Heart’s Delight Farm,” valued so highly that they were not torn down to make way for new structures, but were instead encapsulated during the remodeling process.


Following the path toward the pasture gate, you leave the original Storehouse built in 1905, which is now the Heritage Exhibit.

Beyond the Storehouse were the two piggeries somewhat concealed behind a hedge. Next on the right was the large Coach Barn (1903) that encompassed the original old homestead barn. Inside, there was a turntable, 12 feet in diameter, that was used to bring buggies in and out. It also held a manager’s office, horse stalls and a buggy wash.


Heart of the Farm                     Heart’s Delight Farm                     Hustle and Bustle on the Farm

The Stone Entrance Gate         Heart’s Delight Cottage                  Harmony Hall

The Farm Office                      Heart’s Delight Gardens                 Philosophy Amidst Nature

Happy Hours Cottage              Wayside Walk Main Page